Business Waste Supports Kevin Sinfield’s Epic 7 in 7 in 7 Challenge for MND
Rugby League legend Kevin Sinfield OBE will lace up his running trainers once again to take on another epic endurance event this December. Sinfield and his team will run an ultra marathon each day for seven days in seven cities to raise awareness and money to support people impacted by motor neurone disease (MND).
And for the second year in a row, Business Waste is proud to sponsor Sinfield with our name on the front of his jersey as he tackles his fourth fundraiser. So far he’s raised more than £8 million for the fight against MND across three endurance events. Each one has been inspired by his former Leeds Rhinos teammate Rob Burrow MBE.
This challenge is no different with the team also inspired by sporting warriors Ed Slater, Marcus Stewart, Stephen Darby, the late Doddie Weir, and the 5,000 other people living with MND in the UK today. The aim is to raise £777,777 for five charities that support and care for people affected by MND and their families and invest in research for effective treatments and a cure for the disease.
What is the 7 in 7 in 7 challenge?
The 7 in 7 in 7 challenge is the fourth fundraising endurance event in the fight against MND by Kevin Sinfield OBE and his team. It combines elements of the three previous challenges the England Rugby Union defensive coach conquered. The challenge starts on Friday December 1st – three years to the day since Sinfield began his first 7 in 7 challenge.
In 2023 Sinfield and his team will run an ultra marathon every day for seven days in seven cities around Great Britain and Ireland. And the target is to complete each one in under four hours to really push themselves to the limit.
Every run will be a marathon with an extra mile added on – to highlight the extra mile people can go to help friends and family in tough times. Each day invited guests will join Sinfield for the extra mile event. The challenge will raise funds for five charities that provide support, care, and research into MND:
- MND Association and Leeds Hospitals Charity’s appeal to build the Rob Burrow Centre for MND in Leeds
- My Name’5 Doddie Foundation
- The Irish MND Association
- The Darby Rimmer MND Foundation
- The 4ED campaign to support former Gloucester and Leicester Rugby Union player Ed Slater
Where will the 7 in 7 in 7 challenge take place?
For the first time, one of Sinfield’s fundraising challenges will cover multiple cities in Great Britain and Ireland. Many of these cities were chosen due to their sporting significance and links to MND. Hopefully, this should raise even greater awareness of the condition and funds to support those living with it and fund further research into treatment and a cure.
For example, the fifth day in Dublin was inspired by former Munster Rugby Union coach Paul Darbyshire, who played Rugby League with Warrington and passed away from MND in 2011 aged just 41. The team will work with the Irish MNDA for the first time, following the incredible work done by legendary RTE broadcaster Charlie Bird who raised over €3 million with his Climb with Charlie after his own MND diagnosis.
The challenge starts at Headingley Stadium in Leeds before visiting key cities across the rest of the country, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. The days and locations for each of the 7 ultra marathons are:
- Friday 1st December – Leeds to York (AMT Headingley Rugby Stadium to York Minister).
- Saturday 2nd December – Cardiff (finishing at half time of the United Rugby Championship game between Cardiff and Scarlets at The Arms Park).
- Sunday 3rd December – Birmingham (start at the Alexandra Stadium, calling at St Andrews, Villa Park, and Edgbaston, before finishing in the city centre).
- Monday 4th December – Edinburgh (crossing the Forth Road Bridge before finishing at Scottish Gas Murrayfield).
- Tuesday 5th December – Dublin.
- Wednesday 6th December – Brighton.
- Thursday 7th December – London (Twickenham Stadium to the Mall).
How can I donate?
There are a few easy ways to donate and support Sinfield and the fight against MND:
- Donate online through the official fundraising page
- Text Kevin10 to 70143 to donate £10
- Text Kevin20 to 70143 to donate £20
Once again, Business Waste wants to encourage other companies and individuals in the waste management industry to get behind Sinfield’s epic challenge and donate. It would be great for as many of our customers, suppliers, and other local and national waste management companies to support this fantastic cause as possible.
You can also support Sinfield’s efforts by buying any of the limited-edition merchandise worn by the team during the week-long challenge. There’s a different design for each day inspired by the location and a t-shirt or singlet (vest) is available for each. Order merch online.
Have your waste collected
Get a fast FREE quote for your waste collection 0800 211 83 90
- Free quote within 1 hr
- Any type of waste
- FREE bins and delivery
- We cover all of the UK