Clinical Waste Bins
A clinical waste bin is vital wherever you produce any type of clinical waste. Hospitals and healthcare facilities must have clinical waste bins in place to safely store all sorts of medical waste. Beauty salons and other businesses also need them for sharps, cosmetics, and other types of clinical waste they create.
There are many different clinical waste bins available in various shapes, sizes, and colours. Each one differs to make separating such waste for safe storage before collection and disposal simple. You must use the right one to avoid contamination and exposure to potentially infectious and hazardous waste.
At Business Waste we provide free clinical waste bins – you just pay for collection. There are no rental charges or delivery fees, wherever you’re based in the UK. Contact us online or call 0800 211 8390 for a free quote for a clinical waste bin.
One-off, daily, weekly, fortnightly, or ad hoc collection
- Clinical Waste
What is a clinical
A clinical waste bin is a container for storing waste produced in healthcare and similar settings that could be hazardous, infectious, or risk spreading disease. The bin, its lid, or the waste bag it contains are colour coded to identify the type of clinical waste it’s designed to hold.
This helps separate different kinds of clinical waste to avoid contamination and ensure each stream is disposed of appropriately. There are a wide variety of clinical waste disposal bins. These range from clinical waste pedal bins that provide hygienic hands-free operation to plastic containers, sharps bins, and clinical waste bags and sack holders.
The sizes and capacities of clinical waste bins vary greatly, often depending on the type of waste they’re designed to store and their colour. For example, sharps bins are normally small clinical waste bins as the needles, syringes, and scalpels they hold are only little.
A small clinical waste bin is also ideal for placing close to the point of production. This could be in an operating theatre, consultant’s room, or dental surgery where space is limited. Many clinical waste pedal bins are also compact to easily slot into tight spaces. Smaller clinical waste bins are likelier to be emptied more regularly, avoiding hazardous waste building up.
Large clinical waste bins include yellow 240 litre wheelie bins, which can be easily moved around close to the point of production. These are to store infectious and potentially hazardous clinical waste types – such as gloves, bandages, dressings, and wipes contaminated with infectious bodily fluids.
Four-wheel bins including 1100 litre wheelie bins are available for hospitals, healthcare centres, and other places that generate lots of clinical waste. These large clinical waste bins can hold up to 18 bags of clinical waste. This helps prevent waste overflowing to keep your organisation running efficiently and hygienically.
What goes in a
clinical waste bin?
What goes in a clinical waste bin depends on the colour of the bin and/or its lid. Generally, you can use clinical waste bins to store:
- Blood, blood bags, and bodily fluids
- Sharps – syringes, needles, scalpels, and other sharp instruments
- Swabs, dressings, and bandages
- Sanitary waste
- PPE – disposable gloves, masks, and gowns
Clinical waste bin colours define the specific type of waste they’re designed to hold before its removal and disposal. The colour of the clinical waste bin and/or its lid that relate to the waste type you can put in it are:
- Yellow – highly infectious waste such as contaminated bandages, wipes, gloves, and disposable garments.
- Red – anatomical waste including body parts, tissue samples, and blood bags.
- Purple – cytotoxic and cytostatic waste like patches, medicinal vials, and blister packs.
- White – dental (amalgam) waste including teeth with fillings, grindings, and packaging/capsules containing residue.
- Orange – infectious waste such as masks, aprons, and dressings.
- Yellow and black (tiger) – non-infectious clinical waste like disposable garments, nappies, wipes, and incontinence pads.
Who needs a
clinical waste bin?
Organisations that create any type and amount of clinical waste must use a clinical waste bin to dispose of it. Even if it’s only a few wipes that could be contaminated or scalpels used in any kind of treatment, you’ll still need a small clinical waste bin or sharps bin.
Hospitals, GP surgeries, and other healthcare facilities are the main organisations that need clinical waste bins to separate and store such waste before disposal. However, many other businesses also produce types of clinical waste and require bins or bags for safe storage. These include:
- Hospitals – hospital clinical waste bins are essential to hold a wide range of medical waste produced by operations, surgery, and general care.
- Care homes – clinical waste bins are vital to store patients’ old medication, PE, and contaminated bedding.
- Tattoo parlours – sharps bins are needed in tattoo studios for needles, as well as any contaminated PPE and other items.
- Beauty salons – needles, scalpels, and other sharp items used in treatments must go in a sharps bin, while they can also create contaminated clinical waste.
- Dental practices – amalgam, teeth, sharps, and contaminated PPE all need a clinical waste bin in dental surgeries.
- Laboratories – tissue samples and contaminated equipment require a clinical waste bin.
Arrange delivery and collection
of a clinical waste bin
We provide free bins for any business that needs a clinical waste bin anywhere in the UK – you just pay for collection. Each load we remove includes a free duty of care certificate, so you can rest assured the waste is disposed of legally, safely, and in as environmentally friendly a way as possible.
Book delivery and collection of clinical waste bins of the size and type you need. We’ll deliver to your organisation for free, you fill each one with the right type of clinical waste and within any weight limits. Then our licensed waste carriers will collect at an agreed time and date.
Arrange collection on a daily, weekly, or fortnightly basis – with ad-hoc removals also available. Our friendly experts can advise on the best bins and collection schedule to suit your operations and any budget requirements. Get a free quote for the delivery and collection of commercial waste bins for your organisation.
Contact us online or call 0800 211 8390 for your free quote today.
Get a fast and free quote
Get a fast FREE quote for a clinical waste bin
- Free quote within 1 hr
- Any type of clinical waste
- FREE bins and delivery
- We cover all of the UK