Businesses in the UK produce more than 27 million tons of commercial waste every year. Appropriate commercial waste disposal helps reduce its impact on our planet. Whatever waste type and amount your company generates, ensure proper business waste disposal to uphold your legal and moral responsibilities. Protect human health and the environment with the waste you produce and store.
From trade waste disposal of industrial materials, to recycling glass, plastics, and other waste types, our zero to landfill waste disposal policy ensures it’s removed as sustainably as possible. Whatever type of waste you generate, get free bins for your commercial rubbish disposal – just pay for collection. Contact us online or call 0800 211 8390 for a free quote for business waste disposal.
Get a free quote for waste disposal
Get a fast FREE quote for your commercial waste disposal
- Free quote within 1 hr
- Any type of business waste
- FREE bins and delivery
- We cover all of the UK
Understanding what happens when disposing of waste as a business helps you get rid of your rubbish in a responsible way. The best methods for disposal of waste depend on its type. Separating and sorting your commercial waste for disposal affects how you store it and where it goes after collection.
Disposing of waste in the most sustainable manner can help your business have a more positive impact on the planet and save you money. All you need to do is use the appropriate bins based on the waste types you produce and arrange collection by a licensed waste carrier for transportation to one of many commercial waste disposal sites in the UK.
After collection there are various methods of waste disposal. The most common commercial waste disposal methods include:
- Recycling – The greenest waste disposal method is recycling, where rubbish is converted into something new and reusable. For example, used plastic bottles can be recycled and used for new packaging materials. Finding new uses for your waste products protects the environment by avoiding adding to landfill. Common recyclable waste includes:
- Composting – If your company produces large amounts of food waste, composting is an eco-friendly waste disposal method. To create compost, you allow food waste to decompose naturally, then you can use the organic matter to fertilise crops.
- Anaerobic digestion – Many types of food waste are compostable, but if your business doesn’t have the space then it can be collected and taken to a treatment centre for anaerobic digestion. Food waste is treated and heated to produce biogas and biofertilizer that are used to generate renewable energy.
- Landfill – Traditional waste disposal methods involve waste being collected and thrown into a landfill site. This should be a last resort due to the negative impact landfills have on our environment. We’re running out of space in landfill sites and many waste products take hundreds of years to decompose, releasing harmful gasses in the process.
- Incineration – Clinical waste such as PPE is usually burned in an incinerator due to the strict laws around disposing such items. Incineration often occurs at landfill sites, and it prevents any infectious or hazardous properties harming humans and the environment if left in landfill to decompose. However, incineration releases harmful gases into the air, so should not be used for recyclable or other waste types.
Commercial waste disposal costs vary depending on the type and amount of waste your business produces and how often you need it collecting. The different sizes of bins you use affect commercial and trade waste disposal costs too, from small wheelie bins to huge roll on roll offs.
At Business Waste, we can help you develop a cost-effective waste management disposal plan. It aims to reduce your carbon footprint and save you money. For starters, we’ll provide free bins, so you don’t have to pay any business waste disposal costs to own, hire bins or for their delivery – just pay for collection.
For small businesses it may be more cost-effective to arrange less frequent collection and disposal of your waste stored in larger bins. Big companies with greater budgets may prefer more frequent collections or to use larger bins such as skips, waste drums, and roll on roll offs. We can outline commercial waste disposal prices based on your needs and help define a cost-effective disposal plan.
Locations where we can dispose
of your commercial waste
Arrange commercial waste disposal near you with our nationwide network of commercial waste disposal sites. We can collect and dispose of your business waste almost anywhere in the UK, whether you’re based in a big city or run a local village shop. Whatever type of waste and amount you need disposing of, our expert team can work to find a local solution.
Some of the main cities and counties where we collect and dispose of commercial waste include:
- East Midlands
Can’t see your town? We’re experts at disposing of waste produced by businesses everywhere in the UK. You can easily use our interactive map to see the options available in your location.
Site waste clearances
Dispose of many rubbish types at once with a complete site waste clearance. Our experts can conduct a free waste audit and advise on the best bins, collection schedule, and disposal methods for all the waste you need removing from a site. Waste clearances are available anywhere in the UK, whatever industry your business works in.
We can provide full site clearances for offices, construction sites, factories, restaurants, hotels, and other commercial ventures. Our waste clearances can include the removal and disposal of everything from general waste and carboard recycling to WEEE and furniture disposal from old offices and food waste from kitchens.
Prepare for a clearing project in advance or get help with an emergency ad-hoc clearance of a site. We can help you sort out waste clearances as a one-off or book in regular removals and disposals of your commercial waste. Get your business in a clean and hygienic state with our reliable waste clearance services.
How should you store
commercial waste before disposal?
When your business produces any type of waste, you need to store it safely and in line with any regulations for its type before collection. This helps prevent contamination and ensure all waste is disposed of in as sustainable a way possible. There are a wide range of bins, bags, and containers to store individual waste types separately.
Whatever type of business waste you produce, to store it securely you should:
- Ensure your waste is kept in a secure place with no access to unauthorised personnel – especially when storing waste hazardous or controlled substances, such as medications.
- Use suitable bins and containers that stop waste spilling or leaking.
- Clearly label your containers or bins with their contents to reduce the risk of cross-contamination and storing waste in the wrong container.
- Ensure your waste is covered to prevent the entry of rainwater or other contaminants.
regulations for businesses
The Environmental Protection Act 1990 is the main legislation that imposes commercial waste disposal regulations for businesses to follow. Section 34 places a duty of care on anyone that produces, imports, carries, keeps, treats, or disposes of controlled waste (which includes any waste generated by a business).
As defined by the UK government, under waste disposal regulations for businesses you must:
- Keep waste to a minimum by doing everything you reasonably can to prevent, reuse, recycle or recover waste (in that order)
- Sort and store waste safely and securely
- Complete a waste transfer note every time waste leaves your place of business
- Check any waste carrier you use registered to dispose of waste (or your own drivers are registered, if removing your own waste)
- Ensure your waste is not disposed of illegally (by your or your waste carrier), and report them to Crimestoppers if this happens
Why should I use Business Waste
as my waste disposal company?
Running a business is no easy feat. You don’t want to be spending all your time focusing on waste disposal and collection. As one of the leading waste disposal companies in the UK, we make the process easier by taking on all the hard work for you.
Our commercial waste disposal services include:
- A dedicated, professional team to provide you with a tailored business waste disposal strategy that keeps your property waste-free.
- Free bins delivered to fill with your commercial waste for storage before collection and disposal.
- Timely collection of business waste on a daily, weekly, or fortnightly schedule.
- Expert advice on how to minimise your waste output, lower your carbon footprint and comply with on government legislations.
- A free waste transfer note for peace of mind.
2Bins collected a minute
1k5 star reviews
What is commercial waste disposal?
Commercial waste disposal is simply the way that your business gets rid of any rubbish it produces. As a business owner, you have a duty of care to ensure your commercial waste is disposed of safely, securely, and legally. Therefore, every business needs to have an appropriate plan in place for commercial waste disposal – whatever type and amount you generate.
The legislations around business waste disposal mean you must:
- Minimise the amount of waste your organisation produces.
- Sort your waste into separate categories – including recyclables, general waste, and specialist waste (such as clinical waste).
- Consider the environmental impact of your commercial waste.
- Prevent unauthorised disposal of business waste (fly-tipping).
- Store your waste correctly and securely.
- Provide a waste transfer note when you hand over waste to another person or company for removal.
What is a waste disposal licence?
Also known as a waste carrier licence, you need a waste disposal licence if you:
- Transport waste (a carrier)
- Buy, sell, or dispose of business waste (a dealer)
- Arranges for someone else to buy, sell, or dispose of business waste (a broker)
They were introduced in 2014 in the UK and are issued by the Environment Agency. Licences help reduce fly-tipping, and ensure companies make smarter, more sustainable decisions when it comes to business waste disposal.
Where can I dump commercial waste?
You can’t dump commercial waste anywhere! Dumping commercial waste is illegal in the UK and will result in your organisation facing large fines and damage to your reputation. It’s also terrible for the environment and adds to pollution.
As a business it’s your legal and moral responsibility to dispose of any waste you produce properly. This means unless you are a licensed waste carrier, you need to arrange collection by licensed waste carriers. They will collect it and transport it to a nearby commercial waste disposal site for proper disposal.
Where can I take commercial waste?
If you are a licensed waste carrier, then you can take any rubbish your business produces to commercial waste disposal sites. Here it will be assessed, sorted, treated (if necessary) and disposed of in an appropriate manner.
However, if you don’t have a licence then you should use the services of a commercial waste disposal company such as Business Waste. We can collect and take your commercial rubbish to a nearby site for disposal, operating safely and legally.
Whose responsibility is it to ensure waste is correctly disposed of?
If your business produces, imports, keeps, stores, transports, treats, or disposes of waste, it’s your responsibility to ensure it’s disposed of correctly. Therefore, this applies to practically every business. Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, you have a duty of care to ensure your business waste is disposed of properly.
This doesn’t mean you have to physically dispose of it yourself. Instead, you must ensure it’s removed by licensed waste carriers and taken to a facility for proper disposal – whether by recycling, reuse, incineration, or any other appropriate method.
How often do I need commercial waste disposal?
It really depends on the amount and type of waste your business produces, and the size of the bins or containers you use. You can arrange collection and disposal of commercial waste on a daily, weekly, or fortnightly basis.
For rubbish such as food waste and clinical waste, you’ll likely want it removing from your premises quickly, while cardboard, plastics, and some other types you can store more easily for longer. Speak to one of our expert team and they can advise on the best disposal schedule for you.
Who can I speak to about my business waste disposal?
There are a few different numbers and email addresses you can use depending on the nature of your enquiry about commercial waste disposal:
- 0800 211 8390 – [email protected] – for new customers, a free quote, and any initial questions.
- 01904 207 120 – [email protected] – for existing customers with any questions, contract or disposal changes and queries.
- 01904 207 121 – [email protected] – for any questions about payments, charges, and invoices for disposal.
Get a fast and free quote
Get a fast FREE quote for commercial waste disposal
- Free quote within 1 hr
- Any type of commercial waste
- FREE bins and delivery
- We cover all of the UK