Fun facts about materials and waste that we can recycle.
Fun facts about cans
1. Aluminium cans are lighter than steel, and the base of an aluminium can is shinier. A magnet will stick to a steel can, but it will not stick to an aluminium can.
2. Making one can from raw materials uses the same amount of energy that it takes to recycle 20 cans.
3. The average UK household uses around 600 steel cans every year.
4. The aluminium drinks can is the world’s most recycled packaging container – worldwide over 50% of aluminium cans are recycled.
5. Recycling one aluminium can saves enough energy to power your TV for three hours.
Fun facts about glass
1. Around 14 million glass bottles and jars are sent to landfill in the UK every day.
2. Recycling one glass bottle or jar saves enough energy to power your computer for 20 minutes.
3. Glass can be recycled again and again – containers made from recycled glass are of the same high quality as those made from new raw materials.
4. Green glass bottles are made with up to 90% recycled glass.
5. The glass we recycle in the UK each year saves enough energy to launch 10 space shuttle missions
Fun facts about paper
1. The average person living in the UK uses around 200kg of paper every year.
2. Paper and card make up 40% of the waste collected for recycling from UK households.
3. For every tonne of recycled newspaper, we save 17 trees.
4. Recycling paper saves almost 80% of the energy needed to make paper from new raw materials.
5. It can take just seven days for old magazines and newspapers to be recycled into new ones.
Fun facts about plastic
1. In the UK we throw away around 455,000 tonnes of plastic bottles every year – equivalent to around 9.1 billion bottles.
2. It takes just 25 two-litre plastic bottles to make a recycled fleece jacket.
3. Recycling just one plastic bottle saves enough energy to power a 60W lightbulb for six hours.
4. Around 11% of our household waste is plastic and 40% of this is plastic bottles.
5. There are around 500 plastic bottles in a typical bale and you need around 20,000 plastic bottles to make one tonne.
Fun facts about waste in the UK
1. Each UK household produces over 1 tonne of waste per year. This is the weight of a small car.
2. In less than 2 hours the UK produces enough waste to fill the Albert
3. Every year, the average dustbin contains enough unrealised energy for 500 baths, 3500 showers or 5,000 hours of television.
4.On average, every person in the UK throws away their own body weight in waste every seven weeks.
5. Up to 60% of the waste that ends up in the bin could be recycled.