Recycling pallets is a sustainable and environmentally friendly way to get rid of any used or broken pallets you no longer need. Pallets are essential for moving and storing goods across the UK from warehouses to retailers. Once the items reach their destination what you do with the unwanted pallet is important.
Pallets come in various shapes, sizes, and materials, although most are made from wood or plastic. Reusing, recovering, and recycling pallets is possible for any kind of used pallets you have whatever their condition. Our pallet recovery services can find an eco-friendly and efficient solution for your old pallets.
At Business Waste we can collect and recycle pallets made from wood or plastic anywhere in the UK. Get started with a free quote for pallet pick-up from your business or home today. Contact us online or call 0800 211 8390 for a no obligation quote tailored to your pallet recycling needs.
Get a FREE quote
Get a fast FREE quote for pallet collection
- Free quote within 1 hr
- Any type of pallets
- FREE bins and delivery
- We cover all of the UK
Arrange pallet collection with Business Waste and get rid of any old pallets quickly, easily, and in an environmentally friendly way. Licensed waste carriers will pick up and remove your waste pallets to ensure they’re transported and processed safely and legally. You’ll receive a free duty of care certificate confirming responsible collection and disposal.
Wooden pallet collection is common for all sorts of businesses. It could be from supermarkets and shops after receiving bulk deliveries, recycling broken pallets from warehouses and factories, or making one-off pickups from festivals and events. We can also find solutions for plastic pallet collection to ensure they’re recycled and reused.
All our pallet recovery services ensure they’re recycled or reused with none going to landfill. This helps protect the environment, save resources and energy, and reduce how much landfill tax you pay for collection and disposal. Pallet removal is available anywhere in the UK thanks to our nationwide network, so we can offer a local solution wherever you are.
Pallet collection is available for unwanted pallets of all sizes – including the standard 120x100cm size as well as smaller and oversized ones. You can arrange a one-off collection or regular daily, weekly, or fortnightly pallet collections. Book pallet collections that suit your needs with a free no obligation quote today – call 0800 211 8390 or contact us online.
How to recycle wooden pallets
The easiest way to recycle wooden pallets is to arrange collection by licensed waste carriers with Business Waste. This ensures they’re removed at a time that suits you and transported to a nearby facility for reuse, repair, and recycling. The process of recycling wooden pallets involves:
- The condition of the wooden pallets will be checked to determine the best option, whether they’re reusable, require repairs, or need recycling.
- Any pallets that are in good condition and suitable for reuse may be donated or sold to businesses and individuals.
- The type and grade of wood used for all the other pallets sent for recycling are then assessed.
- Dismantling of the pallets then begins with any usable bits of timber removed and potentially used to create new pallets.
- Broken pallets and parts that are recyclable are separated by type and then shredded into small wood chips.
- These wood chips are finally used for various purposes depending on their type and grade, such as for animal bedding, surfacing, and mulch, or fuel and to create new wood such as plywood and fencing.
Recycling pallets when you no longer need them is a responsible and green action. However, there are other options for pallet disposal that reduce waste, save energy, and are cost-effective. You can dispose of complete and broken pallets responsibly in various ways. For pallet disposal from your business or home consider these options:
- Donate unwanted pallets – check if any community causes, organisations, friends or family have a use for your used pallets. Some may need a full pallet while others could take them off your hands and break them up for other purposes, such as firewood for a bonfire.
- Repurpose your pallets – rather than throwing away a pallet consider ways to reuse it within your business or home. With a little bit of work, you can turn them into storage units or repurpose them as planters in your garden or inside if you have enough space.
- Visit your local HWRC – if you’ve got an old pallet at home check if your nearest household waste recycling centre (HWRC) will accept it. Pallet disposal is possible at some HWRCs for free and it ensures that wooden pallets are recycled. However, you can’t take old pallets from a business to a HWRC.
- Arrange pallet removal – book pallet removal from your business or home to dispose of any types, sizes, and number of pallets. Arrange collection at a time that suits you for a quick, easy, and responsible way to get rid of any used pallets.
What to do with old pallets
Got a creative side? There are lots of things you can do with old pallets to repurpose them around your home or business. This saves on the energy and resources required to transport and recycle them, as well as the materials and time to make new products. Ideas of what to do with old pallets are to turn them into a:
- Coffee table – clean and varnish a wooden pallet and add four legs to create a simple table for use inside or outdoors. You might want to add a flat surface on top for stability with a thin piece of board cut to the measurements of the pallet.
- Radiator cover – remove the boards from one side of the pallet and give it a good clean. Then you can position it over your radiator to add a rustic touch to your home and create a small shelf above it. Ensure there’s no risk of fire with a wide enough gap between them.
- Bookshelf – you’ll need three or four old wooden pallets, some extra wood, a hammer and nails to create a recycled bookshelf. Use some chunky boards or timber to create the sides and then the pallets to add in shelves. Enjoy the freedom to adapt the design to suit your space.
- Compost bin – pallets are almost the perfect size to build a compost bin. Form a base and four sides from the old pallets with the gaps offering the aeration that organic materials require to decompose. Add a lid on top with a sheet of waterproof tarpaulin or plastic to protect it from the rain.
- Tool rack – get four screws and attach an old pallet to a garden, shed, or garage wall by its top. That’s your tool rack made. Slot in your rakes, spades, hoes, and other tools with long handles for simple and space-saving storage.
- Garden wall – flip an old wooden pallet on its side and attach it to a fence or wall outside. Then fill the slots with plastic potting trays that fit inside them to grow herbs, flowers, and other small plants. You can write what each one is on the bit of wooden pallet below each section.
Arrange pallet removal
Book pallet removal anywhere in the UK with Business Waste. Our nationwide network means we can arrange cost-effective and efficient collection of your waste pallets at a time and place that suits you. One-off removals and regular collections on a daily, weekly, or fortnightly basis are possible.
Get in touch with our expert team for a free no obligation quote for our pallet recovery services. The price is tailored to your needs, based on the number, size, and types of pallets you need collecting and where from in the UK. Licensed waste carriers will remove the pallets and you receive a free duty of care certificate.
All old pallets are recycled, reused, and recovered to keep them out of landfill and have a positive impact on the environment. Expect reliable and responsible collections and disposal of any used pallets you no longer need. Arrange pallet removal today – call 0800 211 8390 or contact us online.
Pallet recycling FAQs
Where can I arrange wooden pallet collection?
You can arrange wooden pallet collection anywhere in the UK with Business Waste. We offer solutions to get rid of your used pallets in major cities like London, Manchester, and Newcastle to coastal towns, countryside villages, and anywhere else. Explore all locations to see where you can book wooden pallet collection.
Do you collect old plastic pallets?
Plastic pallet collection and disposal are available. Arrange the removal of plastic pallets by themselves or with any waste wooden pallets at the same time. The collection costs may vary depending on the type, size, and number of plastic pallets. Where possible plastic pallets are recycled, reused, and disposed of responsibly.
Who buys used pallets?
Many places buy used pallets and will pay for your old pallets. This includes standard pallet sizes as well as large and small pallets, and those made from wood or plastic. In most cases, you’ll be paid more for intact pallets, but some places also buy broken pallets.
Where can I get old pallets?
Some places that give away old pallets for free or for a small charge are:
- Garden shops
- Construction companies
- Pet stores
What wood are pallets made from?
Wooden pallets are normally made from a mix of hard and soft woods. This can include oak, pine, and plywood. Oak is a common strong wood used for the load-bearing parts of the pallet. Pine and plywood aren’t as strong, so they’re used for non-load-bearing bits of the pallet and often alternate.
Get a fast and free quote
Get a fast FREE quote for pallet removal
- Free quote within 1 hr
- Any type of old pallets
- FREE bins and delivery
- We cover all of the UK